Lavery CAPITAL is a multidisciplinary team providing legal and business advice to all of the market actors of the investment management industry with a particular expertise in international investment fund structures. We can assist you in all stages of the life of any type of investment fund. Whether the fund is a private equity or venture capital fund, an hedge fund, a mutual fund, or any other type of investment fund, we work with managers with respect to the creation and optimization of fund structures, with managers, investors and broker-dealers with respect to capital-raising campaigns and with managers and investee companies throughout the investment process.
- Fund of funds
- Legal Advice
- Creation of eight private equity funds in Canada, the United States and the Cayman Islands (including seven open-ended funds) managed by Axium Infrastructure.
- Capital raising on behalf of private equity funds managed by Axium Infrastructure with Canadian, U.S., European and Asian investors totaling more than $2 billion.
- Representation of Montrusco Bolton Investments and Third Eye Capital in the context of the creation of a private equity fund investing in private secured loans mainly from Canadian companies and also of U.S. companies and the closings of capital raising initiatives of such investment fund totaling 300 millions of dollars with institutional investors.
- Representation of Montrusco Bolton Investments in the context of the creation of a hedge fund with a master/feeder fund structure under Cayman Islands law.
- Representation of the Black Diamond Capital Management private equity fund in its purchase of all of the assets of the White Birch Paper Company, with proceeds totaling $236 million.
- Representation in Québec of OMERS Private Equity for the acquisition of all of the common shares of Logibec Groupe Informatique, with proceeds totaling approximately $235.5 million.
- Representation of Montrusco Bolton Investments in the creation of a closed-end mutual fund trust and in the renewal of approximately 10 open-end mutual fund trusts.
- Creation and international fund raising of two venture capital funds located in Canada and the Island of Guernsey, managed by White Star Capital and specialized in social media, e-commerce, video games and mobile applications.
- Representation of White Star Capital and certain private investors in the acquisition of equity interests in companies based in North America and in Europe and specialized in social media, digital media, video games, nutricosmetics, cosmetics and software.
- Creation of Club Éolectric, a private equity investment fund in wind power projects.
- Reorganization of the Universitas Foundation of Canada structure through the creation and implementation of new trusts for the continued existence of the Foundation’s registered education savings plans.
- Representation of IQ FIER, a subsidiary of Investissement Québec, with respect to the governance of the 30 Regional Economic Intervention Funds (FIER-Regions), with an aggregate capitalization of approximately $285 million.
- Representation of the Alouette aluminum smelter with respect to its equity stake in the Fonds Cycle Capital III, a private equity fund specialized in the clean technologies sector.
- Québec counsel to a group of investors in connection with their investment in the capital of iNovia Investment Fund 2015, the latest venture capital fund managed by iNovia Capital.
- Representation of a pension fund with respect to an investment in IFM Global Infrastructure Canada, a private equity fund specialized in infrastructure assets.
- Preparation and renewal of the offering documents of GBC MutualFunds and advise to Pembroke Private Wealth Management, its fund manager, with respect to regulatory compliance matters.